Monday, March 20, 2006

What Do You Know About The Spirit?

How did you find yesterday's sermon? I feel it was imbalanced and ministry time was rushed and I don't know how to say. Anyway read this quote I got from an article..

Today we find believers confusing baptism with fullness, the gifts of tongues with spirituality, and I am constantly hearing and reading of believers worshipping, glorifying and praying to the Holy Spirit. This is wrong and must not be done. All of our adoration, worship and glory must be given to Jesus Christ. Even Jesus said of the Holy Spirit in John 16:14: “He shall glorify me.” I am literally appalled at the lack of real biblical teaching on the fullness of the Holy Spirit. A. W. Tozer was right when he stated: “Satan has opposed the doctrine of the Spirit-filled life about as bitterly as any other doctrine there is. He has confused it, opposed it, surrounded it with false notions and fears.” Tozer was right!

Read the full article here

You know I did not know the verse mentioned here until last week at Bible Study? There are many more things about the Holy Spirit that we need to know aside from His power and His gifts, much much more. And there has to be a balance in the way we teach Him, if not we run the risk of placing so much emphasis on the Spirit Himself when the Spirit is supposed to glorify Jesus. The worse thing that can happen than that is when we so decide to run after gifts and not the Giver.

No giver, no gifts.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am a believer and share your concerns about the abuse of the spirit. I am concerned that you would be on staff and be so critical of your church in such a public way. Your comments should be in private to the pastor. This is a fundimental value of the A/G church, you should find another church that you can agree with.By the way, I don't know you or your church and do not go to an A/G church. I do believe in harmony in the body of christ.
beliver in connecticut

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

everyone's entitled to their own opinions. we must agree to disagree sometimes, and if everybody takes every single thing taught at surface value, we'd be no more than soma-downing clones in Alduous Huxley's Brave New World. preaching's not going to be our "soma" and that's why we have to discern very carefully. i do not dare to claim myself an expert on the subject of the Holy Spirit; i'm not even a beginner at it. but this one thing i do know:

sermon was rushed, yes. but when we talk about the Holy Spirit, we talk about God. how do we even begin to comprehend God? how CAN we, fully? so i guess the preacher had a huge task at hand when he was delivering the sermon. Holy Spirit in 45 minutes? hard thing to do. however i still agree when he said that the Holy Spirit is our advocate, our intercessor, our help in time of need. it was a good sermon.

can we agree to disagree?
- s.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Jeremiah Ng said...

Hello Believer in Connecticut, I'm not on staff and I was just trying to be discerning. And you are right, perhaps I should leave for another church.

But then again, I believe that we should be the agent of change that we want to see.

I am pentecostal and I believe in the gifts of the Spirit as much as the Bible says, but I believe that such things have to be preached from the Word and we cannot go ahead of Christ's words.

I don't want to leave this church, because I love the people here and their zeal, there may be a lack of knowledge, and it is my vision or my hope if you like to see us be charismatic and true to the Word at the same time.

I believe also in the harmony in the body of Christ, but those that preach a different spirit have no part of the body of Christ. I am not saying that that's what the pastor did, I am just saying that we have to be extremely careful when we are teaching doctrine.

I don't disagree with you s, just that there is really a lot of emphasis about the Holy Spirit preached like that, how many have we heard in church messages like this? Like I said, I'm looking for the other facets about the Holy Spirit, there is so much more to it then we talk about.

11:02 PM  
Blogger :)X said...

Yes Liang, S is right about the part where u might need to go to a church that u can agree with. If not it's really hard to stay on esp if ur conviction is so strong about something that is contrary to our current church.

Why don't u send an e-mail to Ps Ronald and see how he reply?

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, S isn't the one who said "move to another church". by the way, S is someone you know. i'm just being a mouse again =)

12:06 PM  
Blogger :)X said...

We have people in our midst reading Alduous Huxley? I hope u are strong in faith to stand up to those things that this Huxter writes about.

5:13 PM  
Blogger sloshblob said...

I'm S, jenn. Read Alduous Huxley for lit. =)

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home