Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Can I Lose My Salvation? Hebrews 6:4-9

An examination on Hebrews 6:4-9,

Hebrews 6:4-5
v4 For it is impossible to restore again to repentance those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit,
v5 and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come,

When I read this passage, I was convinced that that this passage taught that a person who was saved can lose his salvation, until I read up a little more on it.

Hebrews 6:7-8
v7 For land that has drunk the rain that often falls on it, and produces a crop useful to those for whose sake it is cultivated, receives a blessing from God.
v8 But if it bears thorns and thistles, it is worthless and near to being cursed, and its end is to be burned.

When you read verses 4-5 in context with the verses following you can see that, those that have had "rain" fall on it can have 2 effects, one receives a blessing from god (v7) or that "land" bears thorns and thistles. The effects of having this rain is such a privilege, but one of the tragedies is that one might reject that outpouring.

Hebrews 6:9
v9 Though we speak in this way, yet in your case, beloved, we feel sure of better things--things that belong to salvation.

Now this verse clears my doubts about it, because it the Writer of Hebrews is writing to people whom are saved and the case mentioned in verses 4 & 5 should not apply to them. What is it then?

I think it is a warning to those who might be in that Church but are not truly born again, is it possible? I think it is. Take a look at Judas, he spent at least 2 years with the Lord, heard from the Word of God (pun) and performed miracles, was He saved? I don't think so. I don't think he lost his salvation, if he was truly changed in his heart I don't think he would've betrayed the Lord.

So it's a very strong warning for us to check whether we are truly born again.

John Piper writes a better article here I got most of my ideas from this article and from yesterday's bible study! Read it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home