Monday, July 03, 2006

Doctrinal Purity in the Assembly of God Denomination

John Wimber, until his recent death, taught how to do signs and wonders and how to prophesy, and charged a stiff fee for attendance at such seminars. And some of the techniques the Vineyards still use, such as moving one’s hands slowly back and forth a few inches from a subject’s body to feel for hot spots to see where God is at work, or letting one’s mind go blank and speaking forth whatever thought comes, open the door to the occult. Biblical prophets never learned techniques.

These people gave what is called “present truth,” or, “What is the Spirit saying today?” These utterances had authority equal to the Bible.


I got this quotes from this article. It's titled ADDRESS TO THE DOCTRINAL PURITY COMMISSION, check it out, I believe the author is an ordained Assembly of God minister. I think our church today might be joining into this so called "latter rain" movement.

5 Comments:

Blogger calvinistguy said...

Thanks for the informative article. However the main area I would differ with the author is his dispensational eschatology. My grouse with the article is that he has misrepresented amillennialism with the oft-cited straw man argument that “the Church replaces Israel.” This is definitely not the case. The amillennialist believe that the Church as the body of Christ has always been present in the Old Testament and that the Scriptural references to Israel can refer to either ethnic Israel or spiritual Israel, depending on the context. So rather than a replacement for Israel, the New Testament Church is better viewed as an enlargement or progression of Israel of the Old Testament, which now includes Jews and Gentiles.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Jeremiah Ng said...

Wooq, nice to have you surfing in, heh, although I haven't studied eschatology so I don't think I am in a place to comment.

I do agree with you that the church doesnt replace the Israel, we are that wild olive shoot that is grafted in right? (Romans 11) I don't know if I interpreted it correctly.

5:04 PM  
Blogger calvinistguy said...

That is correct. Amillennialism sees the Church as comprising of the Old Testament saints and the New Testament saints. We Gentile Christians are the adopted sons of Abraham, which makes us Israel too.

7:29 PM  
Blogger :)X said...

U're spot on Liang.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am a musician who has been impacted by Keith Green and I would be honored if you would check out my music, all music is free to download. I just wanted to share my music with People who love Jesus. www.SeanDietrich.com

I don't want to be a pest, so if this really annoys you, please delete it and accept my humble apology.

Thanks so much,
-Sean
____________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home