Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Inerrancy and Infallibility of Scripture

"We believe the Bible is the Word of God written; it is the revelation of the truths of God conveyed by inspiration through His servants to us. As such, it is infallible and without error." - excerpt from Assemblies of God's (AG) Official Position Paper on the Inerrancy of Scripture

I was glad to find that the AG's Position Paper spoke strongly about the inerrancy and infallibility of scripture. Yet I wonder in the many sermons that I have heard pastors from the AG church, I recall one sermon preached along these lines.

In my many interactions with other pastors, I wonder how much this of them hold strongly to the belief of the infallibility and the inerrancy of the Bible.

It was a problem that has rampaged the church through the centuries and as long as there are opponents of the Christian faith, even in Spurgeon's time there was the so-called "Downgrade Controversy".

"Though many doctrines came to be questioned, such as eternal punishment and the deity of Christ, the major issue above all else was the inspiration and absolute reliability of Scripture." - excerpt from Paul Mizzi's essay on Spurgeon and the Downgrade controversy

I don't think there's anything new today and the authority and intergrity of the Scriptures are constantly under attack and we as Bible believing Christians must make a stand to defend the Scriptures. (1 Pet 3:15)

We cannot and must not, for the sake of denominational unity water down the Gospel!

“If an act of sin would increase my usefulness tenfold, I have no right to do it; and if an act of righteousness would appear like to destroy all my apparent usefulness, I am yet to do it. It is yours and mine to do the right though the heavens fall, and follow the command of Christ whatever the consequences may be” - Charles Spurgeon

For more click here for the paper by Paul Mizzi on Spurgeon and the Downgrade Controversy.

The AG Official Position Paper on the Inerrancy of the Bible can be found here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Charles Spurgeon,
He is so cut and dry, and so full of real passion! His book Lectures to my students is a great book that I have enjoyed. Good practical advice. I love that he was virtually a Holy-Spirit taught man. I heard that he never went to cemetary. Ooops I mean Seminary!

I am a musician and I would be honored if you would check out my music. All my music is free for download. Anyway, I don't mean to be a pest, just thought I'd share.

Thanks,
-Sean
______________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home